CALL FOR 2020 CSME AWARDS NOMINATIONS - Deadline for submission is 31 January 2020.
Nominations are solicited for awards and honours of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering (CSME) to be awarded in 2020. These aim to recognize and honour deserving mechanical engineering professionals who are members of the CSME.
Honours and Awards
- The I. W. Smith Award was established in 1977 to honour Professor I. W. Smith who devoted a lifetime to teaching mechanical engineering at the University of Toronto. It is awarded annually for outstanding achievement in creative mechanical engineering within 10 years of undergraduate graduation.
- The G.H. Duggan Medal was established in 1935 to honour Dr. G.H. Duggan who was president of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC) in 1916. It is awarded annually for the best paper dealing with the use of advanced materials for structural or mechanical purposes. (revised 1983)
- The Robert W. Angus Medal was established in 1957 to honour the late Robert W. Angus who was for many years Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Toronto. It is awarded annually to a Canadian engineer for outstanding contributions to the management and practice of mechanical engineering. (revised 1993)
- The Jules Stachiewicz Medal was established in 1983 to honour the late Jules Stachiewicz who was for many years Professor of Mechanical Engineering at McGill University. It is awarded alternately by the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE) and the CSME for outstanding contributions to heat transfer in Canada. This award may next be presented by CSME in 2021.
- The C.N. Downing Award may be presented annually to a member of the Society for distinguished service to CSME over many years.
- The title, Fellow of the CSME, may be awarded to members in good/uninterrupted standing in the society for at least 5 years, who have attained excellence in mechanical engineering and who have contributed actively to the progress of their profession and of society.
- A Certificate of Service may be awarded to CSME members in recognition of outstanding service to the Society in a particular capacity.
Nominations of peers should be addressed to the Chair of the HAF Committee, and in time to reach the CSME office by midnight, January 31, 2020. It is preferable to forward the nomination documents (application form, short CV, letters of support and the proposed citation) in MS Word and via e-mail:
c/o Chair, Honours and Awards Committee
Please ensure to include all of the following items in the nomination package:
- A completed nomination form showing the nominee’s name, occupation, position, title, affiliation, CSME membership number, and full address and contact information (including telephone and email).
- The nominator’s name, position, title, affiliation and full address and contact information (including telephone and email).
- The nominee’s short CV.
- A draft citation for the nominee (125-150 words), which is intended for use in announcing the award recipient and in the awards brochure, should the nomination be successful.
- Two letters of support for the nomination from additional referee members or fellows of the CSME, along with their names and addresses (including telephone and email).